From high school athletes to professional sports players, people tend to take a beating on the field. The resulting aches and pains can literally cramp a person’s style on and off the field, but sports massage therapy can provide the relief needed to feel better and get back on the field. The massage therapists at Total Health Systems are knowledgeable and experienced in this type of therapy.
About Sports Massage
Therapeutic sports massage uses several different techniques to treat the soft tissue pain caused by exercise and sports. In addition to relieving physical pain, massage also reduces stress and anxiety by lowering blood pressure and heart rate. Everyone from high school coaches to Olympic trainers are recommending the therapy for their athletes, but even casual athletes, such as runners, benefit from massage therapy. This is because any type of exercise that pushes physical limits can cause minuscule muscle tears that can cause pain for several days after exercising. For this reason, therapy done by a qualified sports massage therapist is important for anyone who wishes to complete a full exercise routine, including after care.
Sports Massage Techniques
The sports massage benefits will depend on the type of sport you play, the pain you’re feeling and the technique your therapist chooses to use. The most common approach is traditional Swedish massage, although many therapists are choosing to use multiple massage techniques in one sports therapy appointment these days.
- Deep Swedish: This therapy uses standard techniques and vibrations to penetrate deep into specific muscle areas.
- Cross-Fiber: Cross-fiber massage uses friction on specific areas to stretch and broaden muscles, which aids in the healing process.
- Lymphatic: Lymphatic massage therapy specializes in the body’s drainage pathways to improve removal of effusion and edemas.
- Trigger Point: This sports massage focuses on the combination of specific pressure points that aid in the reduction of spasms, referred pain and hypersensitivity.
- Compression: Compression massage is usually used as a warm-up for deeper therapies and focuses on softening the tissues around the muscles.
Schedule an Appointment
Stop searching the internet for “sports massage near me,” and start the appointment process now. Get in touch with the professionals at Total Health Systems to get your body back in the game today.