#1 Keep the focus on fun, not on food
• Holidays are associated with food, but that doesn’t mean food has to be the main focus
• Celebrate with other traditions, such as tree trimming, caroling, and catching up with friends and family
#2 Ramp up your Mood with Sunlight
• Sunlight stimulates the production of feel-good serotonin and also helps relieve seasonal affective disorder (SAD), which impacts millions of people each year
• Spend time outdoors or near a window on sunny days
#3 Lift Your Mood and Heighten your Senses with Citrus – Take a Whiff!
• Certain citrus fragrances boost feelings of well-being and lower stress by elevating levels of norepinephrine, a hormone that affects mood
• Dab on a little lemon or orange essential oil – and see your mood soar
#4 Walk off Worries
• The rhythm and repetition of walking has a calming and tranquilizing effect on the brain
• Decreases anxiety and boosts sleep – Aim for a half hour brisk walk every day
#5 Try Chinese Medicine to Reduce Stress
• Apply firm pressure on the fleshy place between your index finger and thumb (called the hoku) for 30 seconds – take a deep breath – this can reduces stress and tension in the upper body
#6 Do Less and Enjoy More!
• Relax and enjoy the beauty of the season!
• Take care of yourself and say “no” at least once – maybe more!
#7 Stick with your Daily Routine
• Prioritize your workouts, food plans, yoga sessions, and exercise routines
• Stay with your First Line Therapy Food Plan, and drink plenty of water every day (8-10 glasses)
• Drink your Ultrameal Medical Food Shakes every day
#8 Visit your Chiropractor and Get Adjusted, Schedule yourself a Massage
#9 Stay Healthy and Wash your Hands Frequently
#10 Have Fun – Laughing reduces stress hormones, and helps the immune system to better function!
#11 Diaphramic Breathing
• Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth
• Breath deeply into your abdomen, feel it expand to a count of 4, pause for a count of 1
• Exhale slowly to a count of 4, allowing tension to release
• Repeat until you feel relaxed – several times per day
#12 Forget Perfection –
• Focus your energy on enjoying the people in your life and don’t sweat the small stuff!
#13 Go Tech Free
• Constant phone buzzes and email alerts keeps us in a perpetual fight-or-flight mode which is
exhausting and contributes to mounting stress
#14 Savor a Spicy Meal
• Hot foods trigger the release of endorphins – the natural chemicals that trigger feelings of euphoria and well-being
#15 Cuddle, Hug, and Enjoy One Another!
• Boost immunity, reduces stress, and raises self esteem
#16 Turn up the Music!
• Reduces anxiety, relaxes blood vessels, and increases blood flow, and great for your heart health
#17 Exercise – Get moving! Grab your shoes and get to the gym
• Try Fit Ranx, Tai Chi, Hot Vinyassa Yoga, Zumba, stretching, and flexibility exercises
#18 Smile and Celebrate the True Meaning of Christmas
#19 Slow your Pace and Savor the Moment!
#20 Watch holiday favorites and Feel the Joy and Laughter of the Season!
• Like “It’s a Wonderful Life”, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Christmas Story and more
• Laugh, giggle, smile and remember to celebrate the true meaning of the holiday
For more information contact Diane Delf, RN, Director of Wellness and Weight Management at